Barack Hussein Obama today became the President elect in line to be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America. Although the margin of his win over the Republican nominee, John McCain, wasn’t too much in terms of the popular vote, he trounced his rival where it counted the most- in the Electoral College.
Possibly no subject in management literature has been as much written about as leadership. What makes leaders excel ? What differentiates great leaders from others? These questions continue to fascinate students of management and business.
Many business leaders have shared their thoughts on what makes leaders succeesful.
Here is what the legendary Jack Welch, former Chairman & CEO of GE had to say about “What Leaders Do” in his book “Winning” .
- Leaders relentlessly upgrade their team, using every encounter as an opportunity to evaluate, coach and build self-confidence
- Leaders make sure people not only see the vision, they live and breathe it
- Leaders get into everyone’s skin exuding positive energy and optimism
- Leaders establish trust with candor, transparency and credit
- Leaders have the courage to make unpopular decisions and gut calls
- Leaders probe and push with a curiosity that borders on skepticism, making sure their questions are answered with action
- Leaders inspire risk taking and learning by setting the example
- Leaders celebrate.
You can subscribe to the A-Step-A-Day series using RSS at https://bprao.wordpress.com/category/a-step-a-day/feed