A column which grabs my attention in every issue of “Business Today” is called “Numbers of Note”. Here are shown stats. on different subjects spanning the globe including some very interesting trivia.
A sample of numbers from the issue dated April 22;
- 16 lakh (16,00,000) :The number of people living in penury in New Delhi. Translates to 1/10th of the city’s population.
- 163 million: Total teen population of India. Nearly 1/2 of India’s 1 billion+ population is under the age of 20.
- 2.3 million: The expected stregth of the IT/BPO workforce in India by 2010.
- 250 million: Total number of users of Yahoo !mail worldwide. The highest amongst email service providers. Gmail has 51 million users.
- 1 million: The number of tourists expected to visit India for the 2010 Commonwealth Games to be held at New Delhi.
- 500,000: The number of jobs expected to be created in the tourism, hospitality, aviation sectors because of the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
I have no doubt that our teen population of today, given the right environment and our value systems, will transform us to an economic powerhouse of tomorrow.