The 17 th Asian Games just concluded in Incheon in South Korea and India which started off shakily gained in the medals tally in the last few days. They finished the Games in the 8th position with 57 medals: 11 Gold, 9 Silver and 37 Bronze. We will carry some very happy memories when these Games are over. We are especially proud that some of the Gold Medal winners were our women athletes and boxers. The complete list of winners is here.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- India Vs Pakistan, in any game, has to be full of tension more so in field hockey where the two have been rivals for decades. In a closely fought final, the regular time ended with both sides at 1-1. The tension grew as we witnessed the penalty shoot out to decide who would win the Gold Medal. India won 4-2 thanks to some brilliant goal keeping by P R Sreejesh which ensured that we won the Gold Medal in the Asian Games after a long wait of 16 years.
- Mary Kom showed why she is rated so highly by winning the Gold Medal in the Women’s Fly Weight category in boxing. She has earlier won the Bronze Medal in the last Asian Games in 2010, besides being a five-time World amateur Boxing champ. A true sporting legend in India, Mary continues to inspire generations of young women.
- The 4 X 400 meters relay was once again won, for the fourth time in a row, by the Indian women’s team of Priyanka Panwar, Tintu Luka, Mandeep Kaur, and M Poovamma. The girls set a new Games record in the process. This has become a favourite event of the Indians as they have been winning this since 2002.
- Seema Punia won the Gold in the women’s discus throw.
- Yogeshwar Dutt won the Gold in wrestling after a long, long gap of 28 years.
- Both the Men and the Women won Gold in Kabaddi.
- Sania Mirza and Saketh Myneni won the Gold in the Mixed Doubles in tennis.
Overall, although we won less medals than we had at the last Asian Games, these Games had their moments of glory for India.