There are days when you feel down and out. There are days when you feel lost. This is inevitable. Everything doesn’t go your way. In reality these days when you feel down and out or lost are no different from any other days. It’s just that you have chosen to think of them as being bad.
As Shakespeare wrote centuries ago in “Hamlet”; “for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. ”
Stress takes it’s toll on thousand of people struggling to make a living. The stress is often self-induced following feelings of inadequacy.
Here are my suggestions to Feel Good. I present to you: 7 Steps to Feeling Good:
- Count your blessings: Even in the worst of situations, you do have some good. Things could always be worse. Look at the brighter side of things.
- Think of your positives: You do have strengths which can help you fight life’s battles. Your strengths may be your cheerfulness in adversity, your competence, your willingness to help others in difficulty.
- Make valid comparisons: It is natural to compare your self with others who you feel may have succeeded more than you. Make these comparisons with care. Don’t compare yourself with others in vastly different circumstances. These comparisons are a waste of time and energy. Compare yourself, if you have to, with others like you.
- List your achievements: Make a list of your achievements. At work and at home. These cannot be taken away from you. You have achieved them. These re-inforce all the good you have done.
- Learn from your failures: Just as you look at your achievements, look at your failures, too. Where did you go wrong? What could you have avoided? What were the driving factors for making you do what you did? The past is a treasure trove-if you learn from your mistakes.
- Think positively: Learn from your failures but don’t let them dominate your thinking. The moment this happens, you begin to slip down hill. Even the smallest of positive thoughts and positive actions do you a world of good. If you feel good within you, it reflects in your thoughts and actions.
- List your goals: Going through life without goals, is a waste of time. Determine what you want to achieve. Understand what it takes to achieve your goals. Knowing what you want to achieve makes you feel better and more confident.
You do need formal certification to practice some professions. You do need a licence to drive a car. You do need formal education to do certain types of jobs.
You don’t need any of these to feel good about yourself. This is entirely in your hands. As Eleanor Roosevelt said ” No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.”.
Begin today, think positively- feel good about yourself and your capabilities. The rewards won’t be too far away.
You can subscribe to the A-Step-A-Day series using RSS at https://bprao.wordpress.com/category/a-step-a-day/feed
This is the 141 st of the “A Step A Day” series : To provide perspective and provoke thought to facilitate self-development across a wide spectrum of issues- big and small- crucial for executive success