A Step A Day was initiated to help people take charge of their careers. It contemplates sharing thoughts, insight and information on a variety of skills necessary to be an effective executive.
Is there a particular kind of mindset required to chart one’s career? Here are 7 Principles which I have found to be useful to achieve this goal:-
- Know yourself well and love what you do: You know yourself better than anyone else in the world. Take stock of yourself. Be aware. Knowing what you are good at and what you dislike helps fashion a career path. As the old sage said: ” Do what you love to do and you won’t have to work a day in your life”
- Seize every opportunity to learn: Two “enemies” which can block your progress in your career if you aren’t careful. Complacency and obsolescence. Learn from everybody in sight. Learn things that make you more effective in your job.
- Look for international exposure: In a rapidly changing world, your ability to relate to people, products and services from countries other than your own gives you an edge. Make the best of opportunities- even short term assignments.
- Seek newer businesses and new opportunities: Sooner or later you will outgrow your current role. Exposure to and developing skills in what is current helps you to gear up to face new challenges and gets you out of the rut.
- Determine what success means to you: Linking back to knowing your self best, understand what you seek from a career. What are those things that excite you? What would you like as rewards for your success? What is your aim in life?
- Be responsible for your actions: No one will be as interested in your future as you. Don’t blame others for what went wrong. Don’t make excuses. Take full responsibility for your actions. Earn success through your achievements. For what you have done- not for who you are.
- Be the best in your job: Professional respect comes through on- going demonstration of your competence: not your experience, your age or your title. Work towards being the best and it will be well worth the effort.
You can subscribe to this series using RSS at https://bprao.wordpress.com/category/a-step-a-day/feed