The making and breaking of records adds to the charm of the game for cricket fans. With so much cricket being played the world over, gone are the days when records created stayed for keeps. Clarrie Grimmett’s record for the most Test wickets was not broken for 17 years from 1936-1953!
Here are a few of the current world records which are close to being broken:
- Sachin Tendulkar ( 112890 ) is 664 runs behind Brian Lara for the most runs in Test cricket.
- Muttiah Muralitharan (704) is just 4 wickets away from Shane Warne’s most wickets in Tests.
- Muttiah Muralitharan (455) is 47 wickets away from Wasim Akram’s most wickets in ODIs.
- Ricky Ponting (33) is just 4 centuries behind Sachin Tendulkar for the most centuries in Tests
- Adam Gilchrist (391) is 12 dismissals away from Mark Boucher’s most wicket keeping dismissals in Tests.
I feel that Muttiah Muralitharan will end up as the highest wicket taker in both Tests and ODIs. The Sri Lankan off-spinner already has 1159 wickets in these forms of the game. That is amazing. More importantly, he has consistently been a match winner for Sri Lanka.
I feel Ponting will go past Tendulkar in the matter of Test hundreds.
Which Test record do you think seems least likely to be broken?