At the time I read it this article in Knowledge @Wharton had been read 31, 985 times. I am sure many more will read it for the insights provided.
An alumnus of Harvard (MBA, class of ’63), Reuben Mark has spent his entire career in Colgate Palmolive rising from advertising trainee in 1963 to being CEO & Chairman of the Board since 1986. He is slated to continue as Chairman in 2008 after handing over his CEO responsibilities.
Key points that emerge are:
- Leadership is an on-going process with incremental improvements being key for organisational growth
- Integrity in leaders is of the essence
- Leaders maintain business focus
- Leaders are strong in maintaining financial discipline
- Practicality and common sense are more important than we think
- Leaders create a caring environment and appreciate contributions
As a point of interest, I also liked the “Living our Values” section in the Colgate Palmolive website.