Good news for us coffee lovers. An article in today’s “Times of India” rebuts the myth that coffee drinking can be harmful to health. Apparently, recent findings indicate that a moderate amount of coffee, 4-5 cups a day, is not harmful and may even have some health benefits.
- Recent research at The Institute for Coffee Studies at Vanderbilt University Medical centre in Nashville, US shows significant presence of antioxidants in coffee beans. Antioxidants are proven to help mitigate the chances of heart disease and cancer.
- Caffeine can help relieve a migraine or even stop it if consumed at an early stage of the headache.
- Coffee has been used to combat asthma in Scotland since at least 1859.
- Evidence shows that drinking coffee may substantially reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, the most common form of diabetes.
- Scientific evidence indicates that coffee may help provide significant protection against development of liver disease.
- Relatively low amounts of caffeine, 100-200 mg. significantly improves alertness in sleepy subjects. Useful for those going for a long drive or studying for exams.
Join me in reaching out for that cuppa!